The Spartan

The student news site of Broad Run High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Holy Month of Ramadan

A brief explanation of the holy month of Ramadan!
The Holy Month of Ramadan

Entering the new year, we get a new opportunity to participate and celebrate Ramadan! On March 11, 2024, the first day of Ramadan arrived. The holy month of Ramadan is the 9th month in the Islamic lunar calendar. It’s a time of fasting, worship, service, communal gathering, and spiritual development, and is an important time for Muslims. During this time, Muslims fast as a way to commemorate the revelation of the Quran. Ramadan is a time for self-discipline, spiritual purification, and gratitude.

During Ramadan, those who participate abstain from fasting between dawn and sunset. Before dawn, an early “breakfast” is preferred so it can carry on throughout the day until sunset when we can eat again. Muslims are also encouraged to avoid certain negative behaviors such as gossiping, lying, and engaging in any haram (actions that are not permissible in Islam). It’s also encouraged to increase your involvement in certain acts of worship such as praying, reading the Quran, and giving to the less fortunate. Junior Syma Iscandarani said, “This month makes me more motivated to pray because the feeling of being in a community where people all come together makes me feel happy and fulfilled.”

In addition to self-control, this month is filled with a lot of cheer! We have traditions like suhoor, which entails waking up early before dawn to have a meal to prepare and fulfill ourselves for the day of fasting. At sunset, we break our fast by gathering with friends and family, saying a prayer, and eating a meal called iftar. Junior Ranya Alshawi said, “The month of Ramadan makes me feel a lot closer to my family, and I’m excited for all the events and new foods that come with it.” Another place people tend to gather is a mosque for the evening prayer, which is called Taraweeh. Taraweeh is a time to increase faithfulness, read the Quran, and perform acts of charity. Lastly, another beautiful tradition is giving. Many Muslims give to those in need strengthen their faith and connect to others. Although people celebrate differently, we still reunite during this month. 

This is a beautiful month to come together and appreciate everything we have. Ramadan is cherished by Muslims and all are  welcomed to participate regardless of their religion!