The Spartan

The student news site of Broad Run High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Unified Spartans

An overview of the Unified Spartans basketball season.
Unified+Spartans

The Broad Run Unified Spartans is an inclusive basketball team so that athletes with disabilities can play competitive basketball. Unified Sports joins people with and without intellectual disabilities on the same team. They have practice two times a week and at times during certain seminars. 

The Unified Spartans have many games/scrimmages throughout the year, and all athletes play for the same general amount of time. The athletes with disabilities are allowed to steal the ball from the other players, but the student volunteers cannot. “The fun is never done,” said freshman Thomas Korin, a volunteer for Unified Spartan. The athletes and volunteers make lasting friendships and great memories. “Unified Spartans is an incredible learning experience,” said senior Lana Muhagir. “The amount that I have learned about others and myself is crazy.”

Unified Spartans have had four games this season, The first two games were on January 27 at Freedom High School. The first game was against Heritage High School and the Spartans came out victorious.  In the second game, the Broad Run Spartans played the Stone Bridge Bulldogs, and the Spartans were once again victorious. The team also had a scrimmage against the Briar Woods Falcons, continuing their winning streak.

In conclusion, the Broad Run Unified team has had a great year with practice and games, and with the track season right around the corner, the team is set for a great rest of the year.