The Spartan

The student news site of Broad Run High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Stanley Cups Drown the Internet

Who knew water bottles could become such an internet sensation?

One of the most viral items is a type of water bottle called a Stanley. With their unique shape, with a wider top and a thinner base, Stanleys can range from 12 to 60 ounces and cost from $25 to $60 on their website and $30 to up to $85 on Amazon. These come in many different styles and colors; they even have limited-edition cups. There are a wide variety of Stanleys, so you can pick a different one to use every day to match your outfits.

The Stanley Company has made over $760 million in the past year so far. Stanley cups are popular and known for being reusable with both hot and cold drinks and having a look that catches the eye. Many people have been receiving them as Christmas and birthday gifts. People carry their Stanleys in their hands everywhere they go: to school, stores, and work alike.

Stanleys have been blowing up since one specific video was posted on TikTok. The video was taken back in October of 2023, where one person’s car was caught on fire and her Stanley was still standing with very little damage. Many people were surprised at how well the water bottle withheld the fire.

Lots of people on TikTok post videos of themselves buying a Stanley and decorating them with custom stickers and accessories. Recently, TikTokers have been putting a mini bag around their Stanley so it can hold money and other cute essentials. Another recent trend with Stanleys is that TikTokers are putting a round tray with different food compartments on their Stanley, so they can eat and drink from their Stanley at the same time.

The Stanley cup has proven to be an internet sensation in the last few months, quickly becoming a staple. It is not just a trend, but a cultural phenomenon driven by social media.