The Spartan

The student news site of Broad Run High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Out Of This World! The Marching Spartans’ 2024 Show

The Broad Run marching band’s innovative new show is sure to impress.

A sparkling show in a Sky Full of Stars, Broad Run’s Marching Spartans’ 2024 program is really Chasing The Sun. With new ideas and a good list of songs, this creative performance is shaping up to be a spectacle to behold. Colorful, galaxy-patterned new uniforms and props will fill the field at halftime, as the brass and woodwind instruments fill the home-side stands with sound. This is the Broad Run Marching Spartans’ 2024 space-themed show, Celestial.

Firstly, the song choices. The 2024 show will begin with a quiet pre-show performance by the front ensemble of the theme from Interstellar. But this is only the appetizer, because the show’s true start is with David Bowie’s 1969 hit, Space Oddity, a dramatic start to the performance to be followed by Coldplay’s A Sky Full of Stars, ending off the opener with a bang. The ballad is Talking To The Moon by Bruno Mars, a very fitting song for a space-themed show, both in song and artist. The show concludes with the energetic and fast-paced song, Chasing The Sun by The Wanted, making for a perfect conclusion to the eye and ear catching show.

The 2024 show will also have a few new visual elements that are out of the ordinary. For one, this season will not be using the standard maroon and gold jackets but instead a shirt with galaxy-themed patterns and colors, a far cry from tradition. The show’s backdrops, the large, vertical canvases in the back of the field, are also changed. Rather than the previous 5, The band now has 3 larger backdrops. These will hopefully be sturdier and more convenient than the old ones, which were heavy and prone to breaking. The color of the backdrops is also meant to go with the uniforms, creating a more consistent look for the whole production.

Between sight and sound, Celestial won’t disappoint. Hopefully the season is a great one for the Marching Spartans, immersing audiences with the mesmerizing movement and masterful musicianship. Have a great summer, Broad Run, and see you at halftime!