Said the Whale Skypes Students About New Album

Ross Shinberg, Staff Writer

Marianne Meyer
Tyler Bancroft, lead singer from Canadian band Said the Whale, Skypes with students in room 308.

“How can we trick other people into playing our album for their friends?”  That was the idea behind a plan to advertise and promote a new album.  Tyler Bancroft came up with the idea with his bandmates Ben Worcester and Jacelyn Brown.  The trio makes up the band Said The Whale.  To promote their new album, the group wanted to reach out and talk to their fans about it through video chat mediums.  Through a Facebook post, their call reached students at Broad Run High School in Ashburn, Virginia.  On March 22, we were lucky enough to chat with Tyler and Ben in their first Skype session with fans.

With it being the first time either of us has used Skype, there were some technical difficulties.  But Tyler was gracious and willing to work with us through the process.  Eventually, Tyler and Ben were able to join us from their home and studio in Vancouver, Canada.

Tyler, Ben, and Jacelyn were not the first members of the group.  Tyler and Ben founded the group in 2007, but it was with close friends Spencer Schoening and Laura Smith.  When Schoening and Smith left, the group found Brown to take their spots.  However, she plays the keys, not the drums.  When asked about how that change affects the band, Bancroft said that it was more than just the absence of the drums.  The biggest change was that there were two fewer egos to deal with.  “Going from five band members to three, it’s easier because there are two fewer people to keep happy. It’s hard to massage five egos at once,” Bancroft said.

The group’s new album, “As Long As Your Eyes Are Wide,” set to debut on March 31, was tough to put together.  “We recorded seventeen songs, but only eight are on the album,” said Worcester.  Worcester and Bancroft noted how tough it was to narrow down the songs.  Worcester specifically noted how the choice between a party song called “Girls Night Out” and a serious, somber song called “Miscarriage” changed the tone of the entire album.  The group ended up choosing Miscarriage, which received rave reviews.

After a question about if the creation of the band name had a funny story or meaning behind it, a three to four-second awkward silence was broken by Bancroft saying “Nope” followed by some laughter.  He says that during a brainstorming session, the group was looking for names with an animal in it and without the word “The” and a plural noun following.  “We didn’t know of any other whale bands,” he says.

The group also reminisced on their first time touring the United States.  “We love your fast food,” Bancroft said.  The group enjoyed their first time in the U.S., which was during a west coast tour, and they plan to come here in the future.