Broad Run’s Valiant Comeback in State Championship Falls Short, 28-21

Maria Kaffes, Sports Editor

The Broad Run Spartan Football Team will finish the 2021 season as the Class 4 runner up after a hard-fought loss in the State Championship game to Varina, 28-21. Senior QB Brett Griffis threw for two and rushed for one touchdown. Isaiah Lemmond was on the receiving end of two touchdowns. 

The Spartans were able to muster a touchdown completed by Lemmond in the first half against a dominant Blue Devils defense. Varina held much of the momentum for the first three quarters. However, after Varina scored their fourth touchdown of the game in the beginning of the third quarter, the Broad Run defense doubled down, not allowing any more points. When the Spartans were down 28-7, they only saw that as a challenge. The momentum shifted to the Spartans’ favor after a key fourth down stop. The gap was narrowed down to 28-21, thanks to a rushing touchdown scored by Griffis and a receiving touchdown caught by Lemmond. The final drive of the game ended for the Spartans when Varina intercepted the ball deep in Varina territory.

Despite the result, Broad Run should be nothing but proud of their season and playoff run. They beat all odds to get to the Class 4 State Championship, defying cheers of being “overrated.” They took down rival Tuscarora to win the Region 4C Title. They defeated Salem on the road to advance to the Class 4 State Championship. Although it was emotional when that clock hit 0:00, Coach Griffis was quick to offer words of encouragement in the final huddle, reminding the Spartans of their resiliency and strength. Even when down 28-7, they didn’t lose a sense of resiliency and hope. Yes, they “Kept Chopping.”

The Class of 2022 leaves behind some shining talent, especially in sophomore RB Aslin Shipe and junior OL Alex Birchmeier. The Spartans are ending the season with a 13-2 record, 7-0 in their division. 

Photo Credit: Maria Kaffes