Broad Run Defeats Salem to Advance to State Championship, 28-24

Maria Kaffes, Sports Editor

Broad Run will compete in the Class 4 State Championship with an away win over Salem. It was a hard fought win, both teams neck and neck until the very end, but ultimately Broad Run came away with a victory with some key defensive stops and the resilient offense powering ahead. 

QB Brett Griffis, Arnav Thornhill and Kyle Love were key players in this matchup. Griffis rushed for two and threw for two. Thornhill caught the first score between both teams early in the game. Just when the momentum seemed to swing to Salem, Love caught an interception and handed the ball right back to Broad Run. Then, on a key fourth down conversion, Thornhill completed the pass thrown by Griffis to keep the game-winning drive alive. Love caught the game-winning touchdown that sent the Broad Run sidelines and Visitor section into a frenzy. After the game, Love talked about the game-winning touchdown, “Honestly, it didn’t feel real. I really didn’t know how to react […] I just walked over and hugged Brett knowing that play just won us the game. That whole last two minute drive felt like it was straight out of a movie.” QB Brett Griffis sealed the deal with an interception in the last 30 seconds of the game. 

Every second of the game was a nail-biter, with both teams fighting for a score, but because of Broad Run’s resiliency and unwavering spirit, they were able to stick it out. Happy tears were shed while celebrating— between players, parents, and students alike. The passion and school spirit always exudes from Broad Run, wherever they may end up. After the win, Nick Levy said, “This win was incredible. It was a great weekend, but everyone knows that the job’s not finished. Very excited that we get to spend another week with each other and get back to work on Monday.”

With this win, Broad Run is rewarded with a chance to win the State Championship Saturday, December 11 at Liberty University. Broad Run (13-1) will be facing off against Varina (12-1), looking to bring the State Championship home for the first time since 2009.

Photo Credit: Maria Kaffes