Region Champs! Broad Run Shuts Out Tuscarora, 35-0

Maria Kaffes, Sports Editor

Led by QB Brett Griffis’ four rushing touchdowns, the Broad Run Spartans won the Region 4C Title, blanking Tuscarora, 35-0. 

The Spartans walked onto their field with a determined look. Broad Run was not going to let Tuscarora spoil their chance at claiming the title. Prior to the game, there was a narrative that they couldn’t win on Black Friday. The Spartans put that narrative to rest with dominant play on both sides of the ball, contributing to the magnitude of the win. In a post-game interview with The Washington Post, Griffis stated, “For a decade, the narrative has been that Broad Run gets past Thanksgiving and loses the next game. We knew this was the year we could do it because we were healthy and locked in.”

The steady wind did not stop the Spartans from putting points on the board. In addition to Griffis’ standout performance of four touchdowns, Running Back Aslin Shipe opened the scoring with a rushing touchdown. The defense showed up, ensuring Tuscarora’s running back had no chance at any explosive plays. Alex Birchmeier tallied a fumble recovery and Luca Lombardo grabbed an interception. These big plays showed on the scoreboard and sealed the regional championship. It is the third region title in the Broad Run Football Program’s 52-year history.

Next, the Spartans (13-1) travel to face Salem High School (11-1) in the Class 4 Semifinals.

Photo Credit: Maria Kaffes