How great is it to be back in-person!

Nathan Lee, Editor

As the first quarter comes to a closure, it is time to reflect. When we all stepped into the doors of Broad Run on August 26, 2021, the feeling was a special feeling for many. For freshmen and most sophomores, it was their first time stepping inside the building and going inside a classroom. For juniors and seniors, it was finally being able to see our old teachers from the previous school year and catching up with while seeing some classmates that we haven’t seen for so long. Our long anticipated in person school dreams were now becoming a reality.

With in person school unexpectedly taken away from us about eighteen months ago, it has made us realize that we should not take anything for granted. In March of 2020, the third quarter was coming to a closure and many of us were looking forward to finishing off strong in the last quarter of the 2019-20 school year. However, this did not happen as schools completely shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The senior class of 2020 was looking forward to their proms and being able to graduate with all their classmates together for one last time at Eaglebank Arena but this did not happen either. Each senior had to go and get their diplomas individually with only their families allowed to attend. Many students planned exciting vacations whether that was to go to the Bahamas or visit a city but those plans immediately got scrapped when the COVID-19 pandemic hit. It felt like everything went downhill but now we are back stronger than ever. We all successfully went through the challenges of online school and successfully got through last year. Through this, us Spartans became much more resilient. We learned to turn negative situations into a positive situation and tackle anything that life unexpectedly throws at us. Although some students struggled initially, they asked teachers for help by going into office hours and did anything they could to learn more about the topic. Also, students formed small groups and would study together whether that be through virtually or meeting up at a library. We learned to take advantage of all the resources we had to our disposal.

Now, we have been back in person for the first quarter. Although the COVID-19 pandemic is still occurring to this day, the cases and deaths have significantly dropped due to the vaccinations. Being back in person is such a blessing and let us not take it for granted. Being able to see our friends and teachers everyday is a type of feeling that cannot be emulated. Let’s make the rest of the 2021-22 school year one to remember!