Spartan Pride: A Safe Space for LGBTQ+ Students

Aliza Ahmad, Author

Broad Run’s Spartan Pride Club is run by students and provides a safe, inclusive space for LGBTQ+ students and allies. This club allows LGBTQ+ students and allies to build a social network where their identities are respected.

The club is around a decade old, and has seen a consistent turnout.  “We’ve seen a lot of members join, and keep coming back for the people they’ve met and the fun things they’ve done. I think that’s part of the beauty of this club. Attendance is never mandatory, so it’s very low commitment, but we always get a good turnout,“ said senior Alia Taylor, who has been on the board for three years. 

The 2020-21 school year was a strange year for all of us, with masks on and social distancing, it was difficult to connect with anyone. Now that things are somewhat back to normal, Spartan Pride’s goals for the 2021-22 school year are all about connection.  “We really want to focus on restoring the connections that this club is all about,” said Taylor. “…while also spreading awareness throughout the school about the LGBTQ+ community, as well as educating people about queer history and culture,” said senior Dylan Gonzales.

The club meets twice a month, in the career center. “Expect to come and have something fun and different to do each time,” said Taylor. “Anyone that comes to a Spartan Pride meeting can expect several things,” said Gonanzales. “[to] make some new friends [and] to feel welcomed into our little family we call Spartan Pride!”