Spartan Writing Center

Shivani Row

Have you ever wished you had someone to edit your writing, whether for college applications or an essay for a class? At Broad Run, we have the Writing Center to help you out.

The goal of the Writing Center is to help people who are struggling with writing their essays for school, or even just personal writing. Students schedule appointments for their writing to be given feedback, edited, and improved. They can submit anything from college essays and personal statements, to a science or AP English paper. 

Broad Run is currently one of the only high schools in the country that has a Writing Center, since it’s mostly employed in college, and students are able to access it whenever they need it. Students can schedule appointments by going to the school’s website, and a link titled, “Spartan Writing Center,” is found on the English department’s page. They can then choose to schedule an appointment to be either synchronous or asynchronous. 

For synchronous appointments, students get 15 to 20 minute sessions in Room 202, third block on A days. Here, the Writing Center tutor provides feedback to the student after reading it aloud with them. After the meeting, a detailed summary of it will be sent to the student’s school email.

For asynchronous appointments, students submit their writing through a google form found on the webpage, and they then receive feedback through email. Last year, this (and google meets) were mostly how the tutoring would work. This year, while there is still the option to have asynchronous appointments, more people are becoming comfortable with in-person appointments where they can get feedback to improve their writing.

The turnout is always pretty varied, depending on the kinds of assignments students get during the school year. Junior Ria Kaith said, “One day we might have two appointments, and the next day we might have thirty-five. It really just depends on when people’s assignments are due, and it does get kind of crazy sometimes.”

Writing Center tutors are excited about the year ahead, transitioning from asynchronous google meets and emails to in-person meetings with new people. Senior Chris Taylor said, “This is actually my first year doing it in person, and it’s a lot of fun to be able to help people. I also get the opportunity to meet a lot of different people that I wouldn’t normally talk to, and I think it’s really cool to be able to do that, so I’m excited to have this experience this year.” 

Senior Maria Kaffes said, “I really love helping people and I’m so passionate about writing, and I want people to know that even if they think their writing might not be as good as it should be, I’m here to tell them that it is and give them feedback, and they can easily improve it.”